- any game played with a ball, especially baseball or softball.
- Informal. a situation and all its attendant circumstances: Having a new administration in power changes the entire ball game at city hall.Compare new ball game.
- Archaeology. a ceremonial game of both ritual and sporting significance, played by teams on a ball court in Mesoamerican cultures from the Preclassic period to the Spanish conquest.
- any game played with a ball
- US and Canadian a game of baseball
- informal a situation; state of affairs (esp in the phrase a whole new ball game)