adjective, balm·i·er, balm·i·est.
- mild and refreshing; soft; soothing: balmy weather.
- having the qualities of balm; aromatic; fragrant: balmy leaves.
- producing balm: balmy plants; a balmy shrub.
- Informal. crazy; foolish; eccentric.
adjective balmier or balmiest
- (of weather) mild and pleasant
- having the qualities of balm; fragrant or soothing
- a variant spelling of barmy
c.1500, “delicately fragrant,” from balm + -y (2). Figurative use for “soothing” dates from c.1600; of breezes, air, etc. “mild, fragrant” (combining both earlier senses) it is first attested 1704. Meaning “weak-minded, idiotic,” 1851, is from London slang.