- without civilizing influences; uncivilized; primitive: barbaric invaders.
- of, like, or befitting barbarians: a barbaric empire; barbaric practices.
- crudely rich or splendid: barbaric decorations.
- of or characteristic of barbarians
- primitive or unsophisticated; unrestrained
late 15c., “uncultured, uncivilized, unpolished,” from French barbarique (15c.), from Latin barbaricus “foreign, strange, outlandish,” from Greek barbarikos “like a foreigner,” from barbaros “foreign, rude” (see barbarian). Meaning “pertaining to barbarians” is from 1660s.