- a brand of doll representing a slim, shapely young woman, especially one with blond hair, blue eyes, and fair skin.
- Also called Barbie doll. a person, especially a young woman, perceived as blandly attractive and vacuous.
- trademark a teenage doll with numerous sets of clothes and accessories
- slang, usually derogatory a superficially attractive but insipid young woman
- informal, mainly Australian short for barbecue
1959, trademark name (reg. U.S.). Supposedly named after the daughter of its creator, U.S. businesswoman Ruth Handler (1916-2002); see Barbara.