verb (used without object)
- to conduct a campaign or speaking tour in rural areas by making brief stops in many small towns.
- Theater. to tour small towns to stage theatrical performances.
- (of a pilot) to give exhibitions of stunt flying, participate in airplane races, etc., in the course of touring country towns and rural areas.
- (of a professional athletic team) to tour an area playing exhibition games after the regular season.
verb (used with object)
- to tour (various places) as a barnstormer.
- to tour rural districts putting on shows, esp theatrical, athletic, or acrobatic shows
- mainly US and Canadian to tour rural districts making speeches in a political campaign
1815, in reference to a theatrical troupe’s performances in upstate New York barns (usually featuring short action pieces to suit vulgar tastes); extended 1896 to electioneering, 1928 to itinerant airplane pilots who performed stunts at fairs and races. Related: Barnstormed; barnstorming.