- a marketplace or shopping quarter, especially one in the Middle East.
- a sale of miscellaneous contributed articles to benefit some charity, cause, organization, etc.
- a store in which many kinds of goods are offered for sale; department store.
- (esp in the Orient) a market area, esp a street of small stalls
- a sale in aid of charity, esp of miscellaneous secondhand or handmade articles
- a shop where a large variety of goods is sold
alternative spelling of bazaar.
1580s, from Italian bazarra, ultimately from Persian bazar (Pahlavi vacar) “a market.”