verb (used with object), bear-hugged, bear-hug·ging.
- to greet with or hold in a bear hug: eager fans bear-hugging the victorious team.
- a forcefully or heartily tight embrace.
- Wrestling. a hold in which one contestant locks both arms around the other from the front in order to make the opponent fall backward.
- a wrestling hold in which the arms are locked tightly round an opponent’s chest and arms
- any similar tight embrace
- commerce an approach to the board of one company by another to indicate that an offer is to be made for their shares