- a person or thing that beats.
- an implement or device for beating something: a rug beater.
- Hunting. a person who rouses or drives game from cover.
- Papermaking. a machine for beating half-stuff to pulp by separating and shortening the fibers to produce a gelatinous mass.
- Textiles. the reed.
- Newfoundland. a young seal, usually a month to six weeks old, having completely or almost completely shed its initial white fur.
- a person who beats or hammersa panel beater
- an instrument or device used for beatinga carpet beater
- a person who rouses wild game from woodland, undergrowth, etc
mid-14c., “an implement for beating;” mid-15c., “a person who punishes” (c.1200 as a surname); agent noun from beat (v.). Of various mechanical devices that “beat” in some sense from early 17c. Meaning “one who rouses game” is from 1825. Slang meaning “old car” is from c.1980.