- bewildered or confused: a bemused expression on his face.
- lost in thought; preoccupied.
- mildly amused, especially in a detached way.
verb (used with object), be·mused, be·mus·ing.
- to bewilder or confuse.
- to preoccupy; engross.
- to cause to be mildly amused, especially in a detached way: Apparently bemused by his critics, he floated above the clamor surrounding the campaign.
- preoccupied; lost in thought
- (tr) to confuse; bewilder
1735, past participle adjective from bemuse (v.). Related: Bemusedly.