- characterized by or expressing goodwill or kindly feelings: a benevolent attitude; her benevolent smile.
- desiring to help others; charitable: gifts from several benevolent alumni.
- intended for benefits rather than profit: a benevolent institution.
- intending or showing goodwill; kindly; friendlya benevolent smile; a benevolent old man
- doing good or giving aid to others, rather than making profit; charitablea benevolent organization
mid-15c., “wishing to do good, kindly,” from Middle French benivolent and directly from Latin benevolentem (nominative benevolens) “wishing (someone) well, benevolent,” related to benevolentia “good feeling” (see benevolence). Related: Benevolently.