verb (used with object)
- Computers. to subject (software or hardware) to a beta test.
- Psychology. a set of mental tests designed to measure the general intelligence of individuals unable to read and write adequately or at all, used by the U.S. Army in World War I.
- Computers. a quality-control technique in which hardware or software is subjected to trial in the environment for which it was designed, usually after debugging by the manufacturer and immediately prior to marketing.Compare alpha test.
- a test of a new or modified piece of computer software by customers who volunteer to do so
- to test (software) in this wayCompare alpha-test