- engaged to be married: She is betrothed to that young lieutenant.
- the person to whom one is engaged: He introduced us to his betrothed.
verb (used with object)
- to arrange for the marriage of; affiance (usually used in passive constructions): The couple was betrothed with the approval of both families.
- Archaic. to promise to marry.
- engaged to be marriedhe was betrothed to her
- the person to whom one is engaged; fiancé or fiancée
- (tr) archaic to promise to marry or to give in marriage
1530s, past participle adjective from betroth (v.). As a noun, in use by 1580s.