noun (used with a singular verb)
- the study of the action of external and internal forces on the living body, especially on the skeletal system.
- the development of prostheses.
- Biology. the study of the mechanical nature of biological processes, as heart action and muscle movement.
- (functioning as singular) the study of the mechanics of the movement of living organisms
- The study of the mechanics of a living body, especially of the forces exerted by muscles and gravity on the skeletal structure.
- The mechanics of a part or function of a living body, such as of the heart or of locomotion.
- The scientific study of the role of mechanics in biological systems. The study of biomechanics includes the analysis of motion in animals, the fluid dynamics of blood, and the role of mechanical processes in the development of disease.