noun, plural bi·op·sies.
- the removal for diagnostic study of a piece of tissue from a living body.
- a specimen obtained from a biopsy.
verb (used with object), bi·op·sied, bi·op·sy·ing.
- to remove (living tissue) for diagnostic evaluation.
noun plural -sies
- examination, esp under a microscope, of tissue from a living body to determine the cause or extent of a disease
- the sample taken for such an examination
- The removal and examination of a sample of tissue from a living body for diagnostic purposes.
- A specimen so obtained.
- A sample of tissue removed from a living body by a medical provider for diagnostic purposes.