verb (used with object)
- Chiefly Northern U.S. Lumbering. to cause (a floating log) to rotate rapidly by treading upon it.
- British. to spin or cause to rotate.
verb (used without object)
- Chiefly Northern U.S. Lumbering. to cause a floating log to rotate rapidly by treading on it.
- to move or rotate rapidly.
- Informal.to spend money freely.
- Informal.to gamble.
- British Informal. an attempt; a gamble.
- Scot to spin; twirl
- US and Canadian to cause (a floating log) to spin using the feet while standing on it, esp as a sport among lumberjacks
- a variant spelling of burl 2
- archaic, Scot to ply (one’s guests, etc) with drink