verb (used with object)
- to cut or divide into two equal or nearly equal parts.
- Geometry. to cut or divide into two equal parts: to bisect an angle.
- to intersect or cross: the spot where the railroad tracks bisect the highway.
verb (used without object)
- to split into two, as a road; fork: There’s a charming old inn just before the road bisects.
- Also called split. Philately. a portion of a stamp, usually half, used for payment of a proportionate amount of the face value of the whole stamp.
- (tr) maths to divide into two equal parts
- to cut or split into two
“division in two,” 1650s, noun of state from bisect. Related: Bisectional.
- To cut or divide into two parts, especially two equal parts.