- (of a dog) of a black color with tan markings above the eyes and on the muzzle, chest, legs, feet, and breech.
- Informal. composed of or frequented by both blacks and whites: a black-and-tan musical revue of the 1920s.
- Usually Black and Tans. an armed force of about 6000 soldiers sent by the British government to Ireland in June, 1920, to suppress revolutionary activity: so called from the colors of their uniform.
- a member of this force.
- (lowercase) a drink made of equal parts of ale and stout or porter.
- (lowercase) a black-and-tan dog.
- a mixture of stout or porter and ale