verb (used without object)
- to black-marketeer.
verb (used with object)
- to sell (something) in the black market.
- the illicit buying and selling of goods in violation of legal price controls, rationing, etc.
- a place where such activity is carried on.
- any system in which goods or currencies are sold and bought illegally, esp in violation of controls or rationing
- (as modifier)black market lamb
- the place where such a system operates
- to sell (goods) on the black market
The illegal buying and selling of goods above the price fixed by a government. Black markets usually develop when, because of war, disaster, or public policy, a government tries to set prices for commodities instead of allowing the normal operations of supply and demand to set prices.