- a repeated, jerky movement; bob.
- a momentary fumbling or juggling of a batted or thrown baseball.
- an error; mistake.
- a small ball of fabric usually used decoratively, as in a fringe or other trimming: a sweater with a line of bobbles up the sleeves.
verb (used with object), bob·bled, bob·bling.
- to juggle or fumble (a batted or thrown baseball) momentarily, usually resulting in an error.
- a short jerky motion, as of a cork floating on disturbed water; bobbing movement
- a tufted ball, usually for ornament, as on a knitted hat
- any small dangling ball or bundle
- (intr) sport (of a ball) to bounce with a rapid erratic motion due to an uneven playing surface
- US informal to handle (something) ineptly; muff; bunglehe bobbled the ball and lost the game
1812, frequentative of bob (v.1). The notion is “to move or handle something with continual bobbing.” Related: Bobbled; bobbling. Bobble-head as a type of doll is from 1968.