verb (used with object)
- to take an unfair share of (something); keep for oneself instead of sharing: Are you gonna bogart that joint all night?
- to bully or force: He just bogarted his way into the elevator!
verb (used without object)
- to act or move in a tough or aggressive way: That big guy doesn’t ask–he just bogarts.
- a person who hogs or monopolizes something.
- a person who acts in a tough or aggressive way.
- (tr) slang to monopolize or keep (something, esp a marijuana cigarette) to oneself selfishly
- Humphrey (DeForest). nicknamed Bogie . 1899–1957, US film actor: his films include High Sierra (1941), Casablanca (1942), The Big Sleep (1946), The African Queen (1951), and The Caine Mutiny (1954)
1969, “to keep a joint in your mouth,” dangling from the lip like Humphrey Bogart’s cigarette in the old movies, instead of passing it on. First attested in “Easy Rider.” The word was also used 1960s with notions of “get something by intimidation, be a tough guy” (again with reference to the actor and the characters he typically played). In old drinking slang, Captain Cork was “a man slow in passing the bottle.”