noun, plural bo·le·ros.
- a lively Spanish dance in triple meter.
- the music for this dance.
- a jacket ending above or at the waistline, with or without collar, lapel, and sleeves, worn open in front.
noun plural -ros
- a Spanish dance, often accompanied by the guitar and castanets, usually in triple time
- a piece of music composed for or in the rhythm of this dance
- (also ˈbɒlərəʊ) a kind of short jacket not reaching the waist, with or without sleeves and open at the front: worn by men in Spain and by women elsewhere
kind of Spanish dance, 1787, from Spanish, probably from bola “ball” (and perhaps with reference to “whirling motion”), from Latin bulla (see bull (n.2)). In reference to a type of short jacket, it is recorded by 1864.