adjective, bon·ni·er, bon·ni·est.
- Chiefly Scot. pleasing to the eye; handsome; pretty.
- British Dialect.
- (of people) healthy, sweet, and lively.
- (of places) placid; tranquil.
- pleasing; agreeable; good.
- British Dialect. pleasingly; agreeably; very well.
- Scot. and North England Archaic. a pretty girl or young woman.
- a female given name: from the Latin word meaning “good.”
adjective -nier or -niest
- Scot and Northern English dialect beautiful or handsomea bonny lass
- merry or livelya bonny family
- good or finea bonny house
- (esp of babies) plump
- Scot and Northern English dialect considerable; to be reckoned withcost a bonny penny
- informal agreeably or wellto speak bonny
- Bight of Bonny a wide bay at the E end of the Gulf of Guinea off the coasts of Nigeria and CameroonFormer name (until 1975): Bight of Biafra
1540s, of unknown origin, apparently from Old French bon, bone “good” (see bon).