- British Military. a rank between colonel and major general.
- U.S. Army Informal. a .
- History/Historical. a noncommissioned rank in the Napoleonic armies.
- an officer of the British Army or Royal Marines who holds a rank junior to a major general but senior to a colonel, usually commanding a brigade
- an equivalent rank in other armed forces
- US army short for
- history a noncommissioned rank in the armies of Napoleon I
1670s, “officer in command of a brigade,” from French brigadier, from brigade (see ).