- of or relating to Great Britain or its inhabitants.
- used especially by natives or inhabitants of Great Britain: In this dictionary, “Brit.” is an abbreviation for “British usage.”
- the people native to or inhabiting Great Britain.
- the Celtic language of the ancient Britons.
- relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Britain or any of the natives, citizens, or inhabitants of the United Kingdom
- relating to or denoting the English language as spoken and written in Britain, esp the S dialect generally regarded as standardSee also ,
- relating to or denoting the ancient Britons
- of or relating to the CommonwealthBritish subjects
- (functioning as plural) the natives or inhabitants of Britain
- the extinct Celtic language of the ancient BritonsSee also
Old English Bryttisc “of or relating to (ancient) Britons,” from Bryttas “natives of ancient Britain” (see ). First modern record of British Isles is from 1620s.