- a belch; eructation.
verb (used without object)
- to belch; eruct.
verb (used with object)
- to cause (a baby) to belch by patting its back, especially to relieve flatulence after feeding.
- informal a belch
- (intr) informal to belch
- (tr) to cause (a baby) to burp to relieve flatulence after feeding
1932, noun and verb, American English, apparently imitative. The transitive sense of the verb is first recorded 1940. Related: Burped; burping. Burp gun attested from 1945.
- Noisy expulsion of gas from the stomach through the mouth.
- To expel gas from the stomach through the mouth.
- To cause a baby to expel gas from the stomach, as by patting the back after feeding.