- the first son of Adam and Eve, who murdered his brother Abel. Gen. 4.
- a murderer.
- raise Cain, Slang.
- become angry or violent: He’ll raise Cain when he finds out I lost his watch.
- to behave in a boisterous manner; cause a disturbance: The students raised Cain while the teacher was out.
- the first son of Adam and Eve, who killed his brother Abel (Genesis 4:1–16)
- raise Cain
- to cause a commotion
- to react or protest heatedly
- history (in Scotland and Ireland) payment in kind, usually farm produce paid as rent
elder son of Adam and Eve, from Hebrew Qayin, literally “created one,” also “smith,” from Semitic stem q-y-n “to form, to fashion.” To raise Cain is first recorded 1840. Surnames McCain, McCann, etc., are a contraction of Irish Mac Cathan “son of Cathan,” from Celtic cathan, literally “warrior,” from cath “battle.”
see raise Cain.