verb (used with object), cal·cined, cal·cin·ing.
- to convert into calx by heating or burning.
- to frit.
verb (used without object), cal·cined, cal·cin·ing.
- to be converted into calx by heating or burning.
- material resulting from calcination; calx.
- (tr) to heat (a substance) so that it is oxidized, reduced, or loses water
- (intr) to oxidize as a result of heating
- To heat a substance to a high temperature but below the melting or fusing point, causing loss of moisture, reduction, or oxidation and the decomposition of carbonates and other compounds.