- of or relating to calories: the caloric content of food.
- of or relating to heat.
- (of engines) driven by heat.
- high in calories: a caloric meal.
- Archaic. a hypothetical fluid whose presence in matter was thought to determine its thermal state.
- of or concerned with heat or calories
- obsolete a hypothetical elastic fluid formerly postulated as the embodiment of heat
hypothetical fluid in a now-discarded model of heat exchange, 1792, from French calorique, coined in this sense by Lavoisier, from Latin calorem “heat” (nominative calor; see calorie). The adjective is recorded from 1865.
- Of or relating to calories.
- Of or relating to heat.