- any of the yeastlike fungi constituting the genus Candida, members of which may cause athlete’s foot, vaginitis, thrush, or other infections.
- a female given name.
- a comedy (1898) by G. B. Shaw.
- any yeastlike parasitic fungus of the genus Candida, esp C. albicans, which causes thrush (candidiasis)
- A genus of the pathogenic yeastlike fungi.
- Any of the yeastlike deuteromycete fungi of the genus Candida that are normally present on the skin and in the mucous membranes of the mouth, intestinal tract, and vagina. Certain species may become pathogenic, especially C. albicans, which causes thrush and other infections.