< /ˈkæp ɪ tə/. Anatomy.
- any head or headlike expansion on a structure, as on a bone.
- by or for each individual person: income per capita.
- Law. noting or pertaining to a method of dividing an estate by which all those equally related to the decedent take equal shares individually without regard to the number of lines of descent.Compare per stirpes.
noun plural capita (ˈkæpɪtə)
- anatomy a technical name for the head
- the main or most prominent part of an organ or structure
- of or for each person
“head,” in various senses, from Latin caput (see capitulum).
n. pl. cap•i•ta (kăp′ĭ-tə)
- The head.
A Latin phrase literally meaning “by heads,” and translated as “for each person.” It is a common unit for expressing data in statistics. A country’s per capita personal income, for example, is the average personal income per person.