- Also key punch. Also called card punch. a machine, operated by a keyboard, for coding information by punching holes in cards or paper tape in specified patterns.
verb (used with object)
- to punch holes in (a punch card or paper tape), using a keypunch.
- to insert (data) into a computer by means of a keypunch: to keypunch code numbers.
- a device, no longer widely used, controlled by a computer, for transferring information from the central processing unit onto punched cardsCompare card reader
- another name for key punch