- cautious in one’s actions: Be careful when you cross the street.
- taking pains in one’s work; exact; thorough: a careful typist.
- (of things) done or performed with accuracy or caution: careful research.
- solicitously mindful (usually followed by of, about, or in): careful of the rights of others; careful about one’s behavior; careful in speech.
- full of anxiety or care; troubled.
- causing or attended with anxiety: a careful day.
- cautious in attitude or action; prudent
- painstaking in one’s work; thoroughhe wrote very careful script
- (usually postpositive; foll by of, in, or about) solicitous; protectivecareful of one’s reputation
- archaic full of care; anxious
- British mean or miserly