- a person who cares for someone who is sick or disabled.
- an adult who cares for an infant or child.
- US and Canadian a person who has accepted responsibility for looking after a vulnerable neighbour or relativeAlso called: carer
- An individual, such as a physician, nurse, or social worker, who assists in the identification, prevention, or treatment of an illness or disability.
- An individual, such as a parent, foster parent, or head of a household, who attends to the needs of a child or dependent adult.