- a person who is in charge of the maintenance of a building, estate, etc.; superintendent.
- a person or group that temporarily performs the duties of an office.
- British. a janitor.
- a person who takes care of another.
- involving the temporary performance of the duties of an office: a caretaker government.
- a person who is in charge of a place or thing, esp in the owner’s absencethe caretaker of a school
- (modifier) holding office temporarily; interima caretaker government
- social welfare a person who takes care of a vulnerable person, often a close relativeSee also carer