< /kəˈraɪ ni/ for 1.
- Astronomy. the Keel, a southern constellation, containing the bright star, Canopus: one of the constellations into which Argo is divided.
- a female given name, form of Carin.
noun plural -nae (-niː) or -nas
- a keel-like part or ridge, as in the breastbone of birds or the fused lower petals of a leguminous flower
noun Latin genitive Carinae (kəˈriːniː, -ˈraɪ-)
- a large conspicuous constellation in the S hemisphere close to the Southern Cross that contains Canopus, the second brightest star in the sky. It was originally considered part of Argo
n. pl. ca•ri•nae (-nē)
- A keel-shaped ridge or structure, such as the ridge on the under surface of the fornix of the brain.