- a mendicant friar belonging to a religious order founded at Mt. Carmel, Palestine, in the 12th century; White Friar.
- a nun belonging to this order.
- of or relating to Carmelites or their order.
noun RC Church
- a member of an order of mendicant friars founded about 1154; a White Friar
- a member of a corresponding order of nuns founded in 1452, noted for its austere rule
- (modifier) of or relating to the Carmelite friars or nuns
c.1500, from Medieval Latin Carmelites, member of an order of mendicant friars (White Friars) founded 12c. by Berthold of Calabria on Mount Carmel in what is now northwest Israel.