- a person or thing that catches.
- Baseball. the player stationed behind home plate, whose chief duty is to catch pitches not hit by the batter.
- a member of an aerialist team, as in a circus, who hangs head down from a trapeze and catches another member who has completed a jump or somersault through the air.
- Metalworking. a person who feeds metal rods through a looping mill.
- Electronics. catcher resonator.See under Klystron.
- a person or thing that catches, esp in a game or sport
- baseball a fielder who stands behind home plate and catches pitched balls not hit by the batter
“one who catches,” in any sense, mid-14c., agent noun from catch (v.).