- any of several Chinese porcelains having a translucent, pale green glaze.
- any porcelain imitating these.
- a pale gray-green.
- having the color celadon.
- a type of porcelain having a greyish-green glaze: mainly Chinese
- a pale greyish-green colour, sometimes somewhat yellow
“pale grayish-green,” 1768, from French Céladon, name of a character in the romance of “l’Astrée” by Honoré d’Urfé (1610); an insipidly sentimental lover who wore bright green clothes, he is named in turn after Greek Keladon, a character in Ovid’s “Metamorphoses,” whose name is said to mean “sounding with din or clamor.” The mineral celadonite (1868) is so called for its color.