- of, relating to, or characterized by ceremony; formal; ritual: a ceremonial occasion.
- used in or in connection with ceremonies: ceremonial robes.
- a system of ceremonies, rites, or formalities prescribed for or observed on any particular occasion; a rite.
- Roman Catholic Church.
- the order for rites and ceremonies.
- a book containing it.
- formal behavior found at, or appropriate to, a certain occasion: the ceremonial of a state banquet.
- involving or relating to ceremony or ritual
- the observance of formality, esp in etiquette
- a plan for formal observances on a particular occasion; ritual
- the prescribed order of rites and ceremonies
- a book containing this
c.1400, “belonging to (religious) ritual,” also as a noun, “a ceremonial practice,” from Late Latin caerimonialis “pertaining to ceremony,” from caerimonia (see ceremony). Related: Ceremonially.