- Sir Charles,1797–1875, English geologist.
- Mount, a mountain in E central California, in Yosemite National Park, in the Sierra Nevada. 13,114 feet (3997 meters).
- Also Ly·all. a mountain on the border of Alberta and British Columbia, Canada, in the Rocky Mountains. 11,520 feet (3511 meters).
- Sir Charles. 1797–1875, Scottish geologist. In Principles of Geology (1830–33) he advanced the theory of uniformitarianism, refuting the doctrine of catastrophism
- Scottish geologist who is considered one of the founders of modern geology. He is most famous for his principle of uniformitarianism, as first set forth in his three-volume Principles of Geology (1830-1833).