verb (used with object)
- to inflict suffering upon for purposes of moral improvement; chastise.
- to restrain; subdue: Age has chastened his violent temper.
- to make chaste in style.
- to bring to a state of submission; subdue; tame
- to discipline or correct by punishment
- to moderate; restrain; temper
1520s, with -en (1) + the word it replaced, obsolete verb chaste “to correct (someone’s) behavior” (Middle English chastien, c.1200), from Old French chastiier “to punish” (see chastise). Related: Chastened; chastening.