- a salt of hydrochloric acid consisting of two elements, one of which is chlorine, as , NaCl.
- a compound containing chlorine, as 3Cl., CH
- any salt of hydrochloric acid, containing the chloride ion Cl –
- any compound containing a chlorine atom, such as methyl chloride (chloromethane), CH 3 Cl
“compound of chlorine and another element,” 1812, coined by Sir Humphrey Davy (1778-1829) from+ on the analogy of .
- A binary compound of chlorine.
- A compound, such as ammonium chloride, containing chlorine and another element or radical.