- having or claiming to have the power of seeing objects or actions beyond the range of natural vision: Not being clairvoyant, I did not foresee the danger of ignoring her advice.
- of, by, or pertaining to Unlike more talented witches, I had to make do with love potions and occasional clairvoyant visions.:
- a clairvoyant person: A clever clairvoyant could make a fortune in the stock market.
- of, possessing, or relating to clairvoyance
- having great insight or second sight
- a person claiming to have the power to foretell future events
“having psychic gifts,” 1837, earlier “having insight” (1670s), from special use of French clairvoyant “clear-sighted, discerning, judicious” (13c.), from clair (see (adj.)) + voyant “seeing,” present participle of voir, from Latin videre “to see” (see ).
1834 in the psychic sense; see Clairvoyante.(adj.). Earlier it was used in the sense “clear-sighted person” (1794). Fem. form was