- clear and shrill: the clarion call of a battle trumpet.
- an ancient trumpet with a curved shape.
- the sound of this instrument.
- any similar sound.
- a four-foot reed stop of trumpet quality on an organ
- an obsolete, high-pitched, small-bore trumpet
- the sound of such an instrument or any similar sound
- (prenominal) clear and ringing; inspiringa clarion call to action
- to proclaim loudly
“small, high-pitched type of trumpet,” early 14c., from Old French clarion “(high-pitched) trumpet, bugle” and directly from Medieval Latin clarionem (nominative clario) “a trumpet,” from Latin clarus “clear” (see (adj.)). Clarion call is attested from 1838.