- of the nature of, conveying, or expressing a a complimentary remark., often one that is politely flattering:
- given free as a gift or courtesy: a complimentary ticket.
noun, plural com·pli·men·ta·ries.
- something given or supplied without charge, as lodging, transportation, or meals, especially as an inducement to prospective customers.
- conveying, containing, or resembling a compliment
- expressing praise; flattering
- given free, esp as a courtesy or for publicity purposes
1620s, “conveying a compliment,” from(n.) + . In later use loosely meaning “free of charge.”