noun Also copy cat.
- a person or thing that copies, imitates, mimics, or follows the lead of another, as a child who says or does exactly the same as another child.
- imitating or repeating a recent, well-known occurrence: a copycat murder.
verb (used with object), cop·y·cat·ted, cop·y·cat·ting.
- to imitate or mimic: new domestic wines that copycat the expensive imports.
- to copy slavishly; reproduce: The clothes were copycatted straight from designer originals.
- a person, esp a child, who imitates or copies another
- (as modifier)copycat murders
by 1884, American English, probably at least a generation older, from(v.) + (n.). As a verb, from 1932.