- directed or proceeding over fields, through woods, etc., rather than on a road or path: a cross-country race.
- from one end of the country to the other: a cross-country flight.
noun, plural cross-coun·tries.
- a cross-country sport or race.
- by way of fields, woods, etc, as opposed to roadscross-country running
- across a countrya cross-country railway
- a long race held over open ground
also cross country, crosscountry; 1767, of roads, from (v.) + , or short for across-country. Of flights, from 1909.