- Printing. a title or heading filling a line or group of lines the full width of the column.
- Machinery. a sliding member of a reciprocating engine for keeping the motion of the joint between a piston rod and a connecting rod in a straight line.
- Nautical. a crosspiece on a rudderpost by which the rudder is turned.
- Engineering, Building Trades. a transverse timber for transmitting the lifting effort of two or more jackscrews supporting it to the foot of a shore that it supports.Compare shore2(def 1).
- printing a subsection or paragraph heading printed within the body of the text
- a block or beam, usually restrained by sliding bearings in a reciprocating mechanism, esp the junction piece between the piston rod and connecting rod of an engine
- nautical a bar fixed across the top of the rudder post to which the tiller is attached
- a block, rod, or beam fixed at the head of any part of a mechanism