- a large sofa, often one convertible into a bed.
- Chiefly British. a small writing desk.
- John,1597–1670, Puritan clergyman: one of the founders of New Haven.
- a city in E Iowa, on the Mississippi River.
- mainly British a tall narrow desk with a slanted writing surface and drawers at the side
- US and Canadian a large sofa, esp one convertible into a bed
“large upholstered couch,” 1897, apparently named for the manufacturer. Earlier (1853) “a kind of small ornamental writing table.” The proper name is attested from 12c., from a place in Cheshire (Old English Devennport).