- firmly decided or determined; resolved: His family was dead set against the marriage.
- a serious or determined attempt; firm effort: He made a dead set at winning the championship.
- Hunting. the stiff posture assumed by a hunting dog in indicating the presence and location of game.
- absolutelyhe is dead set against going to Spain
- the motionless position of a dog when pointing with its muzzle towards game
- (of a hunting dog) in this position
- Australian slang an expression of affirmationdead set, I worked from dawn to dusk